Date:Thursday December 26 2013
I have essentially been out of circulation on VC for months now because of multiple domestic challenges and mounting difficulties at work. During this period I have continued to frequent VC to read comments but I must say I have been really dismayed by some of the comments from persons on the site who identify themselves as Chelsea fans. What amazes and dumbfounds me has been the sense of entitlement and selective memory many of these comments belie. I am thankful for the grounded reality based comments of some like Nellie, Stamford Lion and HGH magic but as is often the case the nay sayers are generally more vocal and noisy. To be honest I don`t even bother reading through match day comments on VC anymore..i would rather watch our matches in peace without the perpetual vitriolic negativety that pervades the VC match day comments and actually find more value in the match day comments on other online Chelsea communities where there is more grounding in reality.
This piece is simply to provide a rejoinder to those on this site who feel because Jose Mourinho is our manager we are on the path to disaster and ruin and that he should be sacked post hence to save our club.
I wont rehearse much of the nonsense many of these persons post including their pleas that Roman sack the manager barely 4mths into a 4 yr contract. Rather than argue back and forth with these persons I want to get some facts straight for those with selective amnesia.
1. Go back to this time in the last 3 seasons and see where we are now and where we were compared to the league leaders In these prior seasons and let common sense answer for you whether we are better of now or worse of..make this call based on hard facts and reality rather then sentiments.
2. I hear some of these moaners crying..we wanted Pellegrini..etc etc. Fellas get real..Roman wanted Pep and offered heaven and earth to the man..the guy told Roman to suck on his money. It is well noised that Roman after sacking RDM and appointing Rafa as interim approached the very Pellegrini these moaners speak of. He reportedly told Roman.."thanks but no thanks!!" . These guys talk as if all Chelsea needs to do is snap their fingers and any manager they want will come running. Get this straight, Chelsea is no longer a prime target for the best managers and rest assured if Roman sacks Jose as you lot are begging we are going to be far worse of because frankly we will be out of options as far as the sort of high profile experienced manager that Roman craves. We got Carlo, (a model of experience and gentlemanly class) and sacked him, We got AVB..the so called young manager extraordinairre and sacked him, we got RDM a Chelsea legend and sacked him, we got Rafa as interim and sent him packing. Jose had an open check and written contract waiting for him at PSG..he left that to choose us and in my opinion he made that decision with his heart rather than his head and some folks here are calling for his head 4 mths into his first season back because we are not playing "sexy" footie and scoring for fun. Let us look more critically though at what Jose stepped into in his second Chelsea term and see if in the harsh light of reality rather than sentiments if the harsh talk from these nay sayers makes any sense.
3. When Jose was first approached for this position he clearly wanted a position like Fergies where he made all the footballing decisions. He clearly wanted Emenalo out and probably wanted to build a team along his lines. Roman told him no..even when Emenalo offered to step down and resign Roman refused. Roman made it clear that Jose would have to work with Emenalo and the team Emenalo had built and at that point if Jose had been thinking with his head rather than his heart he should have walked then and there to PSG and left Roman to find any high profile manager willing to work with those sort of terms. Think about it..if Pep had asked for Emenalos head as a prerequisite for coming to Chelsea, Roman would have delivered immediately.
These people talk of Pellegrini..look at the football board he works with..experienced guys established in the business brought in from Barca. Jose is working with a guy who if he got fired today would not get this same job in any top club anywhere in Europe (this is the harsh truth and reality). Despite the experienced board Pellegrini had he came in asking for much more money to be spent as expensive as City`s squad was already. Of all the players City got this summer the only one that they were linked with before Pellegrini was Fernandinhio. Pellegrini asked for guys like Navas, Negredo, Jovetic, Dimichellis etc. He had Tevez removed and Gareth Barry loaned out..he put his stamp on the squad..he was allowed to build a squad with his signature and frankly the only player he asked for that his board didn`t manage to get him was Isco. Everyone who knows a thing about footie came out at the end of the summer transfer season to say that City had the best squad by far in the BPL and were favorites to win it (I agreed with that sentiment then). I wonder why the people who mention Pellegrini are surprised how well they are doing ..they have by far the best squad, they have the most expensive squad and their manager got the players he asked for and works with a board who know what they are doing and have a record of achievement elsewhere.
Let us now contrast that with what Jose inherited. Whatever the Nay sayers may say, this Chelsea squad is nothing like the squad he and Ranieri built a decade or so ago. This is Emenalo and Roman's team. There are only two players we got this window that Jose had any direct impact or say so in; MVG who he spoke with in person to convince him to move with Vitesse and Eto who he decided on as his plan B after the Rooney debacle failed. Now you can blame Jose all you want for the Rooney gambit (I myself said it was a waste of time) but did Emenalo or our board provide Jose any decent alternative? They after all make the signings.
Compare what they did with Liverpool`s board who got for Brendan Rodgers ; Iago Aspas, and Luis alberto as additional forwards to add to Suarez and sturridge. Then what many don`t realize is that Liverpool scouted Diego Costa and actually paid his buy out clause which was between 20-25million. The only reason Diego Costa is not a Liverpool red today is because the player himself declined to go, preferring to stay with Atletico Madrid who increased his wages a little to reward his loyalty. This is what a well set up board with people who know what they are doing do. Our board with Emenalo decided it made more sense to spend money on guys like Schurrle and Willian despite all the other CAMS we had already. These people are quick to attack Jose but forget that these two players were already scouted by us and had had prior offers made by us in prior windows. Jose does not have the final say on our transfers so why should he be the one blamed unilaterally when this poorly constructed squad is struggling? These same nay sayers forget that prior to Jose`s arrival Emenalo and co were already setting up new loan deals for both KDB and Lukaku..Jose was the one who indicated he wanted them both retained for the preseason and the season ultimately. These same nay sayers have been calling Jose every imagineable name for sending out Lukaku on loan again as if he was responsible. It is now clear from Lukaku himself that he had requested the loan himself, that Jose had resisted it till the situation with Demba Ba had then left him no choice. I have gone into this painful detail so these moaners have a better understanding of the facts. How these fellas expect a manager barely 4 mths into a season to take a poorly constructed squad and make them suave, smooth and top notch in such a short while when he had little to no choice in their recruitment is beyond me.
4. Honestly let us look critically at our strike force. There is no point rehearsing the decision making that saw us lose Danny Sturridge for peanuts to Liverpool, nor the decision that brought torres here when we could have got Arguero (the player I had suggested way back that we get when he was still with Atletico Madrid and when our board was still wasting time chasing Neymar). Let us not rehearse the mess that saw RDM refused a striker in the one transfer window he had when he begged for Falcao. Can anyone seriously with any ounce of objectivety blame Jose for the miserable form of the striking force he was handed? Pellegrini asks for and gets Negredo and Jovetic to add to Dzeko and Arguero and has the luxury to discard malcontent (but supremely gifted Tevez) and Jose is handed Torres and Ba and people are wondering why one team is scoring for fun while the other is laboring to score? Incredibly these same people conveniently blame Jose but absolve Emenalo and Roman who created this mess to begin with. You can blame him for getting Eto but remember Eto came on a free transfer and lets be honest none of us (myself included) could have imagined Eto would be as blunt as he has been. One cannot overemphasize the importance of scoring strikers..this is what has Liverpool where they are, it is the reason ManU are not in the lower half of the table despite their being very poor this season. What is incredible is that as poor as our strikers have been we are where we are in the table. Literally Jose has been squeezing water out of dry rocks with our inept strike force. This is especially so because unlike prior seasons our defenders are not scoring anywhere close to as many goals as they have in the past (this was something I warned about in seasons past when people kept saying we did not need high quality reinforcements in our strike force). The honest stark truth is that if Roman and Emenalo have any designs on the BPL title they better open the club wallet and get us at least one top draw striker this January. Even with that I don`t feel we will win the BPL..as several had said at the start of the season (and I agreed with them then and now), this tile is City`s to lose..if Jose manages to get us to win the BPL this year with this badly flawed side of ours he deserves knighthood for it.
5. Let me be clear..i have no problem with guys making constructive critiques of the manager, the players, the side, the board and even the ownership. I have done the same and it is part of what it means to be a fan that cares. However there is a clear line between criticism and comments that offer no value and just seek to continue a pattern of irresponsible behavior regarding our management structure and history which have contributed in no small measure to getting us to where we are now. I am emphatic in declaring that sacking our manager based on our present performance and positioning both in the BPL and Champions league is absolute madness. I do hope that Roman doesn`t have the same myopia that the people on VC making these calls have because should he do what they want mark my words it will do our club incalculable harm and I say this not just because it is Jose that is there now as manager but because frankly we don`t have any decent options left and frankly to be blunt this our squad is not nearly as good as many on VC seem to think.
Without a manager with the force of character of Jose this squad would be where we have been at this time of year in the last 3 seasons or so. The last remnants of the original golden era team Jose and Ranieri built are now on their last legs and Emenalo and co have honestly done a mediocre job so far of rebuilding. We all know how long we have needed a quality CDM, an imposing CM, a worthy replacement for the Drogs as a lead striker, a pair of high quality true wingers ala the Bayern Robery connection etc..what Emenalo and co have done is buy every young starlet known to man that cant help right now, stockpile CAMs as if they are the key to nirvana and left the gaping NEEDs of the squad unaddressed. At the very least if persons want to moan and apportion blame be fair enough to share the blame out to all the parties involved.
So let me end this on this note; I wrote several series of "Dark cloud gathering" series when we were changing managers around like a high class consort changes partners when dignitaries visit major Nation capitals. At that time I was really fearful for the direction our club was heading. With Jose at manager we have a chance for stability that this club has not had since he was last here. For the first time in quite some time I personally feel we have direction and reason for optimism for the future. Given time, substantive monetary support and a better constituted board (for example If I were Roman I would pay Jupp Heynckes whatever it takes to get him to become our DOF and either relegate Emenalo back to scouting or some other activity appropriate for his skills, experience or lack thereof..DOF is certainly not it ) I do believe Jose can and will construct for Chelsea FC a new golden generation squad that can win it all for us again. What would bring the dark clouds back and potentially plant us as a club squarely in a swamp would be for Roman to lose the plot and sack another manager prematurely especially one who frankly has overachieved thus far with an underperforming squad that he had next to no input in thus far constructing. Time will tell whether wisdom or impetuousness will carry the day.
Date:Thursday December 26 2013
Summer Heralds hanges at the Bridge (Monday March 10 2014)
Not what I wanted it to be! (Monday March 10 2014)
Strange But True (Monday March 10 2014)
A Smiling Ba (Monday March 10 2014)
A Rock Solid Defence (Monday March 10 2014)
Ave Cesar (Sunday March 9 2014)
An ode to the Pride of London (Sunday March 9 2014)
It`s A Red for Sam (Sunday March 9 2014)
Four of the Best (Sunday March 9 2014)
Jose - Spurs Didn`t Deserve Such a Heavy Result (Sunday March 9 2014)
|4. Man City||26||18||3||5||+42||57|
|6. Man Utd||28||14||6||8||+15||48|
|Liverpool: Reds Eye Austrian International
» Liverpool : 10/03/2014 20:36:00
|Summer Heralds hanges at the Bridge
» Chelsea : 10/03/2014 19:05:00
|Not what I wanted it to be!
» Chelsea : 10/03/2014 18:49:00
|Wenger: Ozil Is Over Bayern Penalty Miss
» Arsenal : 10/03/2014 18:37:00
|Fletcher Looking To Get Form Back
» Sunderland : 10/03/2014 18:07:00
|Hello Neil - The Stoke Podcast
» Norwich : 10/03/2014 18:00:00
|Palace Is A Must Win Game
» Sunderland : 10/03/2014 17:51:00