Date:Wednesday July 16 2014
As the dust settles on the transfer of Diego Costa from Atletico Madrid to our beloved Chelsea, I thought it wise to highlight a few of his strengths and weaknesses that I've seen over the past two seasons as I`ve watched him.
1. Finishing - The guy is a lethal finisher, a fox in the box. He can score with left foot, right foot and has a good heading ability. He scores most of the goals from the 18 yard box.
2. Brute Strength - He is not a physical specimen like king DD but he is strong, direct and can be irritating to opposition defenders at times. This makes him suffer many fouls and of course he responds by fouling a lot.
3. Movement - His movement in and around the 18 yard box is phenomenal, He has this knack of being at the right place at the right time. We will need this a lot when teams park the bus.
4. High pressing - He presses opposition defenders high up the pitch which does not allow them to settle and dictate play from deep. He has stamina and fights for every ball.
5. Heart - The guy simply does not take NO for an answer. He plays with both legs and a heart that is interested in winning or nothing else. He is very hungry for goals, points and trophies.
1. Discipline - Because of his will to win at all cost, he is most of the times ill tempered and goes into verbal and sometimes contact disagreement with opposition players and even referees. With the hate for our dear club, he better tone that down.
2. Link Up play - The days of king DD has made us used to balls from Cech to the chest of the big man and from there to the net. Costa is not that type of player that has good link up play. He is adept to running into spaces. Except we change our style of play, He needs to buckle up or...
3. Pace - He is not slow but does not have blistering pace either. This eliminates the breakaway runs of Torres in matches the opposition is set to keep a highline defence. What he misses in pace he makes up in timing His runs though.
4. Long rangers - Almost 90 percent of His goals this past season came from the 18 yard box. He does not even try long range shorts very often this makes it hard for us to park the bus often. With the exit of Lampard and Luiz, only Schurrle (most times inaccurate) and Matic could release bullets from 25 yards and beyond.
With these, is his signing worthwhile or just another accident waiting to happen?
You can add what you feel are his strength and weaknesses though. I did not watch him more closely till last season.
Date:Wednesday July 16 2014
Infographic - Did Mourinho Make The Right Choice? (Wednesday July 29 2015)
Mourinho Embraces Uncle Sam (Wednesday July 29 2015)
Mourinho Pleased With Barcelona Challenge (Wednesday July 29 2015)
Mourinho Bares His Claws! (Wednesday July 29 2015)
Barcelona 2 Chelsea 2 (2-4 on pens) (Wednesday July 29 2015)
Chelsea v Barcelona - Match Day Moments (Tuesday July 28 2015)
Filipe Luis Leaves Chelsea (Tuesday July 28 2015)
Jose Talks Unpredictability (Tuesday July 28 2015)
Natural Born Leaders! (Tuesday July 28 2015)
McEachran Injury Heartache (Tuesday July 28 2015)
|1. AFC Bournemouth||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|3. Aston Villa||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|5. Crystal Palace||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|7. Leicester City||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|EDS Lads Did Their Bit!
» Man City : 29/07/2015 15:30:00
|Sent To Coventry! NUFC Striker Loaned
» Newcastle : 29/07/2015 14:45:00
|Gregoire Defrel Touted
» Norwich : 29/07/2015 14:20:01
» Norwich : 29/07/2015 14:10:00
|Thanks But We'll Pass....Right?
» Arsenal : 29/07/2015 14:01:01