Date:Wednesday July 16 2014
As the dust settles on the transfer of Diego Costa from Atletico Madrid to our beloved Chelsea, I thought it wise to highlight a few of his strengths and weaknesses that I've seen over the past two seasons as I`ve watched him.
1. Finishing - The guy is a lethal finisher, a fox in the box. He can score with left foot, right foot and has a good heading ability. He scores most of the goals from the 18 yard box.
2. Brute Strength - He is not a physical specimen like king DD but he is strong, direct and can be irritating to opposition defenders at times. This makes him suffer many fouls and of course he responds by fouling a lot.
3. Movement - His movement in and around the 18 yard box is phenomenal, He has this knack of being at the right place at the right time. We will need this a lot when teams park the bus.
4. High pressing - He presses opposition defenders high up the pitch which does not allow them to settle and dictate play from deep. He has stamina and fights for every ball.
5. Heart - The guy simply does not take NO for an answer. He plays with both legs and a heart that is interested in winning or nothing else. He is very hungry for goals, points and trophies.
1. Discipline - Because of his will to win at all cost, he is most of the times ill tempered and goes into verbal and sometimes contact disagreement with opposition players and even referees. With the hate for our dear club, he better tone that down.
2. Link Up play - The days of king DD has made us used to balls from Cech to the chest of the big man and from there to the net. Costa is not that type of player that has good link up play. He is adept to running into spaces. Except we change our style of play, He needs to buckle up or...
3. Pace - He is not slow but does not have blistering pace either. This eliminates the breakaway runs of Torres in matches the opposition is set to keep a highline defence. What he misses in pace he makes up in timing His runs though.
4. Long rangers - Almost 90 percent of His goals this past season came from the 18 yard box. He does not even try long range shorts very often this makes it hard for us to park the bus often. With the exit of Lampard and Luiz, only Schurrle (most times inaccurate) and Matic could release bullets from 25 yards and beyond.
With these, is his signing worthwhile or just another accident waiting to happen?
You can add what you feel are his strength and weaknesses though. I did not watch him more closely till last season.
Date:Wednesday July 16 2014
Champions League Draw - Moments! (Thursday August 28 2014)
Chelsea Draw Bolton (Thursday August 28 2014)
Costa Injury Shock! (Thursday August 28 2014)
It`s a Grand Idea, So You Say! (Wednesday August 27 2014)
Saville Signs for Wolves (Wednesday August 27 2014)
Van Ginkel Turns Down Milan Loan Move (Wednesday August 27 2014)
Eto`o Praise for Mourinho! (Wednesday August 27 2014)
Testing Their Patience (Wednesday August 27 2014)
How Chelsea Should Play Against Everton (Wednesday August 27 2014)
Saville Loan Deal Agreed! (Wednesday August 27 2014)
|3. Man City||2||2||0||0||+4||6|
|6. Hull City||2||1||1||0||+1||4|
|7. Aston Villa||2||1||1||0||+1||4|
|United - Is it the System?
» Man Utd : 28/08/2014 07:47:00
|A Return to Palace?
» Man Utd : 28/08/2014 07:41:00
|Turning Misfortune into Fortune!
» Man Utd : 28/08/2014 07:34:00
|Champions League Draw - Moments!
» Chelsea : 28/08/2014 07:29:00
|Chelsea Draw Bolton
» Chelsea : 28/08/2014 07:22:00