Burnley (h) - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Stat Attack
One game played, one loss suffered, three points behind the league leaders and nearer to the bottom of the table than the top. But what are the real facts and figures behind the Burnley loss?
• The defeat means that Chelsea become the second reigning champions to lose their opening game of the following campaign, following in the footsteps of Leicester City back in 2016 / 2017.
• In losing 3-2 Chelsea became the first reigning champions to concede three goals in the first game of the next campaign.
• The red card shown to our captain, Gary Cahill, was the first in forty-one Premier League games, with Cahill following in the footsteps of our previous captain, John Terry, who was sent off against Sunderland in May 2016.
• Another milestone hit was that Chelsea became the first side to pick up two red cards on the opening day of a Premier league season.
• In having two players sent off, Chelsea have now reached a tally of that happening seven times in the Premier League, the last time being in March 2014, when Aston Villa were the opposition.
• In scoring on his Premier League debut, Alvaro Morata became the 21st player to do so for Chelsea.
Up the Chels!