EFL Cup - Chelsea v Forest - Fascinating Facts
Tonight, Chelsea welcome the Championship side, Nottingham Forest to Stamford Bridge for an EFL Cup 3rd round tie.
Ahead of the fixture, we`ve stuck our heads in the record books and come up with a few interesting facts that may interest you.
• Chelsea have played Nottingham Forest only once before in the League Cup. The two sides met in the 1971 / 1972 season and the tie needed a replay, after the original ended 1-1, Chelsea won the replay 2-1 and went on to reach the final that season, where they lost 2-1 to Stoke City.
• When it comes to facing teams from the lower leagues Chelsea have a good record in the League Cup. A total of 19 ties have seen Chelsea win 17 and draw 2. Chelsea have also won each of the last 9 ties.
• In the last round, Nottingham Forest beat Newcastle United, it was the first time Forest had beaten opposition, from a higher league, since December 1993, ending a run of 11 games.
• When it comes to reaching found four of the competition, Chelsea have failed to do so on just 1 occasion in the last 11, that came when a late winner from Shola Ameobi gave Newcastle United a 4-3 win.
• The last time Forest reached the fourth round was back in the 2004 / 2005 season, last season they exited the competition after losing a third round tie 4-0, to Arsenal.