Chelsea 1 Atletico Madrid 1 - Post-Match Fascinating Facts
Following the honours being shared at Stamford Bridge in the final Group match of the Champions League, we`ve taken the opportunity to delve into the record and form books to bring you a raft of fascinating facts.
• Chelsea`s points tally for the Group stage this season was 11, only once have Chelsea accumulated less than this figure in the group stage and that was when they were eliminated in the 2012 / 2013 season.
• This season is, since we entered the Champions League back in the 2003 / 2004 season, only the 4th time Chelsea have failed to top the group.
• The 1-1 draw extends Chelsea`s home record in the Champions League group matches to 41 games played, won 30, drawn 10 and lost just 1. The loss came in September 2013 when Basel triumphed 2-1 at Stamford Bridge.
• The 1-1 draw saw Atletico Madrid knocked out in the group stages for the first time since the 2009 / 2010 season when they went on to win the Europa League that season, possibly an omen!
• The equaliser meant that Chelsea have scored in 27 successive Champions League group stage home games, the last side to prevent Chelsea from scoring were Valencia, in a 0-0 draw, back in December 2007.
• The goal Chelsea conceded was the first away goal Atletico Madrid had scored in the Champions League in six and a half hours of football.