Gossip: 3rd Jan Chelsea 10pm Update
Day three and still no signings, but there`s still plenty of gossip to go at. With the result tonight indicating that Chelsea, desperately need a striker despite tonight`s two goals. Alvaro Morata was woeful in front of goal. However, on with the nonsense.
First up there are reports in The Express ruling out David Luiz moving to Arsenal this January. Arsene Wenger has insisted they`ve made no bid on the Brazilian, ahead of tonight`s clash with the Blues. The article goes on to say the most likely destination for Luiz will be Real Madrid, but that won't be until the summer.
Meanwhile over in Italy, flicking through several news sources two pieces of speculation linking Chelsea to moves for Serie A players, feature prominently.
BR> The good folk of the tabloid publication, The Mirror, are reporting that Chelsea are keen, this month, to push through a £50 million deal that would see the Juventus left-back Alex Sandro, arrive at Stamford Bridge. This story has been around since last summer and continues to make column inches. One good thing that differs from the summer is, Sandro`s desire to leave the Italian club, which has resulted in a drop in form that in turn has seen his estimated price fall.
Again, over at Juventus there`s another Chelsea link, the Daily Mail, reports that Antonio Conte`s thoughts of making a move for 33-year-old Giorgio Chiellini have cooled. Not because of his age but probably because, Sky Italia are reporting that the defender is keen to extend his contract with the reigning Serie A champions.
This deal falls short of fans expectations for two reasons, his age and it's not really an area of the pitch that most needs strengthening.
Another player continually linked is Arturo Vidal, without covering old ground, Colombian sports journalist Pipe Sierra has tweeted that Chelsea have made an opening bid of £33m for the Bayern Munich player
⚽️📰 CONFIRMADO: #Chelsea hace contactos oficiales con el #Bayern Múnich para fichar a Arturo Vidal 🇨🇱 (30). La negociación empezó con una primera oferta de 37M€, los alemanes quieren 60. pic.twitter.com/BxleHfOVe8— Pipe Sierra (@PipeSierraR) January 2, 2018
The Express run the story and include a tranlastion, `Confirmed, Chelsea makes official contact with Bayern Munich to sign Arturo Vidal,' the Radio Colombia reporter wrote on Twitter. 'The negotiation began with a first offer of €37m [£33m], the Germans want €60m [£53m].'
Whether the Chelsea hierarchy will pay much more than the suggested opening bid for a 30 year-old is questionable. Antonio Conte has certainly shown an interest in Vidal, speaking last week the Italian said,
'I must be honest, it's not right to talk about a player of another team. Especially if you try to link this player with us," he said. "But Arturo is a fantastic player, I have a great respect for Arturo, and we spent many years in Juventus together. If we go to war, I`d always want him with me."
As with all this talk though, we can only wait and see if any of these deals transpire. We`ll be looking out for more rumours tomorrow.